Contact info: johncutter(at)me.com
Specialize in strategic planning for digital growth for mobile, desktop, video and social media; cross-departmental leadership with advertising and marketing on audience and revenue growth, and transforming “traditional” newsrooms through training at newspapers and TV stations into digital first/digital now operations
Managing Editor, Orlando Sentinel, Orlando, Fla. — 2010-present
Ranking editor in newsroom responsible for daily operation of Web site and print newspaper with 110-person staff. Previously: Associate Editor, Digital Manager.
- Staff named finalist for the 2017 Pulitzer Prize in breaking news for our coverage of the Pulse nightclub shooting.
- Named one of the “10 Newspapers That Do It Right” in 2016 by Editor & Publisher for video innovation. Managed effort to reorganize and train staff; grew views from 5 million to approaching 30 million annually. Finalist for Emmy Award in 2015 and 2016.
- Newspaper staff named winner or finalist for numerous awards under my management – Finalist for 2013 Pulitzer in local reporting; Winner for investigative reporting in 2016 from Online News Association; Finalist for EPPY in 2016 for Pulse nightclub shooting, and several first place awards in Florida Press Association and Sunshine State.
- Oversee hiring decisions and help manage multimillion dollar budget.
- Led newsroom effort with advertising to grow incremental revenue by more than $500,000 in 2016, the fifth year in a row for digital growth.
- Board of Directors, Orlando Sentinel Media Group, Florida Press Association, 2016-present.
Digital Media Manager For WESH TV, Orlando, Fla. — 2008-2010
Supervised Web producers of local content on WESH.com and HighSchoolPlaybook.com and coordinated online coverage with news director at WESH 2 News, a Hearst Television station in the 19th-largest market in the U.S.
Deputy Online Editor, Orlando Sentinel, Orlando, Fla. — 2002-2008
Managed day-to-day online news operation of OrlandoSentinel.com since April 2006. Previously: Assistant City Editor; Lake County Editor.
Freelance Health Writer, Clearwater, Fla. — 1998-2002
Wrote articles for top national publications and Web sites, such as The New York Times, Good Housekeeping, WebMD.com, and Modern Maturity. Author of weekly column on healthy aging for Copley News Service. Wrote more than 75 encyclopedia entries in Human Diseases and Conditions (Charles Scriber’s Son, 2000). Spent 2000-01 as Kaiser Family Foundation Health Reporting Fellow, traveling across the U.S. and to Cuba to write about Alzheimer’s disease.
Writer/Editor, St. Petersburg Times, St. Petersburg, Fla. — 1985-1998
Writer specializing in health, aging, and retirement. Previously: County Reporter, Assistant City Editor, Copy Editor.
Fordham University, New York — Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications.
University of South Florida — 30 credits toward master’s degree in gerontology.
Recent Media appearances
- Appeared on CNN with Brooke Baldwin, CNN Reliable Sources with Brian Stelter, PBS NewsHour, Poynter Institute, BBC, and many other media outlets about Pulse nightclub shooting.
- Quoted extensively in “War and Tweets: Terrorism in America in the Digital Age,” a policy paper from New America. Oct. 25, 2016.
- Podcast, About the News with Bob Schieffer, about Pulse and newspaper innovation. July 19, 2016.
- Florida Bar Association workshop on media and law, June 17, 2016.
- Michigan Press Association on covering disasters, Jan. 27, 2017.